Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Wednesday, March 25, 2009 Charlie Rose conversation with Jacqueline Novogratz

A conversation with Jacqueline Novogratz, founder and CEO of Acumen Fund and author of "The Blue Sweater: Bridging the Gap Between Rich and Poor in an Interconnected World"

Jacqueline Novogratz is here. “New York Times” columnist Nick Kristoff has
called her “one of the most interesting innovators in aid and development."
“Innovators” is the key word. She is in the Acumen Fund which invests
philanthropic money in enterprises that help the poor. The fund has helped
set up businesses in South Asia and Africa for everything from mosquito
nets to clean water. She writes about her experiences. It is in a book
called “The Blue Sweater: Bridging the Gap between Rich and Poor in an
Interconnected World.”

I am pleased to have her here at this table for the first time, welcome.

JACQUELINE NOVOGRATZ: Thank you.

CHARLIE ROSE: “The Blue Sweater.” Tell me the story because it’s a fun
story.

JACQUELINE NOVOGRATZ: Thank you. I’m really glad to be here. I was given
a sweater by my Uncle Ed when I was 10 years old. It was blue and it had
zebras running around the front and mountains across the chest. Wore it
all of the time and wore it all the way through high school until my
adolescent curves were changing the contours of the sweater itself and I
think there is a humiliating moment in every adolescent girl’s life.

Mine was when my high school nemesis yelled across the hall that the boys
no longer had to go to the mound tons to ski, they could use my sweater.
And feeling completely mortified, I marched home

See the full interview here.

No comments:

Post a Comment