Friday, October 8, 2010

"That" New York Times

Last month, I asked a friend at LSE if he could refer me to some good reads on economics, from within the bubble of mainland China. He referred me to academic papers that I could've downloaded from his journals database online, but ultimately, these were academic papers that were white washed, or what would be considered to be so, by mainland university students, studying economics. No, I wanted propaganda, but credible propaganda. He couldn't deliver anything along those lines. In fact, the articles he did mention, most of these scholars were folks that did stint in Shanghai but had last names like Winchester. No thanks. And then I saw this video about the currency wars heating up, and the political jabs that were coming out of the EU. That lead me to a search, which in turn lead me to Currency Wars, by Song Hongbing. This is the read I'm going to need in my library. I'm going to boot up a few shelves dedicated to just this kind of idea about economics, coming from within that bubble of mainland China. (My new, juicy hobby.)
Here in China, economic observers are noting that the Chinese posture toward the Americans has decidedly shifted.

“This time, the Chinese side is trying to change its attitude to be more active, to be more aggressive, to balance the two sides,” said Song Hongbing, author of “The Currency War,” a best-selling if conspiratorial book on the American economy. “They just started to change their attitude for the future.”

Chinese officials are expressing their disdain in forums around the world. Last month, Liu Mingkang, the chairman of the China Banking Regulatory Commission, delivered a lecture at the British Museum in London in which he blamed the American government for the subprime mortgage crisis that came close to freezing Western debt markets and required extensive intervention by the Federal Reserve. The turmoil, he said, was “counteracting the course of global civilization.”

That New York Times article's here.
  1. Don't you just love quotes of quotes?
  2. Re-brand "The New York Times" as "That New York Times" 

No comments:

Post a Comment